Thursday, December 15, 2016

Christmas 2016 - Living Room

I'm calling this tour of our living room "Mad for Plaid"!  As you'll see, plaid flannel made quite an appearance in here.  I went for more of a rustic farmhouse theme.
Welcome to our living room...here's the view as you enter the room:



This year we decided to put the tree near the fireplace instead of in that back corner.



I put some pillows I have for sale in my Etsy shop on the couch for this photo shoot.


Above the couch is my favorite vintage shelf, decorated with a winter forest theme.
I have decorated with the sitting paper mache reindeer in previous years, but it was brown. This year I acquired a similar one, covered in gold sparkle.  I decided to paint them both white.



Still adore this rustic grain sack stocking I made a few years ago:


In front of the couch, our vintage trunk (which I painted last year with MMS Shutter Gray milk paint) holds some vintage books and our Advent wreath.
(the book on top is of Christmas Stories by Charles Dickens)



Instead of our tree being in the back corner, I set up this vintage chair, table, shutter, and ladder.  This is definitely where the 'mad for plaid' theme was showcased.  I picked up that comfy wool throw at HomeGoods this fall, and hung some plaid fabrics on the ladder.  My favorite blue Shiny Brite ornaments look lovely tucked in their box.


Now if you turn around, you'll see our fireplace wall.  Notice a difference in the bricks???

The fireplace has been 'German-smeared'!!  I guess that's what Joanna Gaines calls it.  Basically, I researched some brick treatments on Pinterest and found this technique.  I simply filled in the mortar lines with thin-set white mortar (found pre-mixed at Home Depot), and rubbed some on the surface of the bricks as well.  If you want to see what our fireplace looked like before, see this post.

What do you think?  I also had fun hanging our reindeer on a rustic old wood panel and decking him out with a plaid scarf.  This 'olde farmhouse' sign was for sale at the Vintage Bazaar this fall, but I'm keeping it for now.


Two new additions to the mantel this year are this battery-lit snow-covered house, and this sweet white church ornament (50 cents at the thrift store!).

Next to the fireplace I placed a chair holding a basket of sachets for sale in Etsy.  I also tucked in some cute reindeer bags with plaid flannel for ties.


"Mad for plaid" under the tree, too!  I focused on plaid and brown kraft paper wrapping this year:


Behind the tree is our bookshelf.  I didn't add too much decor to this shelf, considering we use it to store the childrens' reading books nowadays.  It's filled with the classics for our homeschool.

Plus some cute nutcrackers:






Just an interesting note...see that blue book behind the sparkly Santa below?  It is called 'On Being Catholic' and is written by a dear friend of ours, Dr. Thomas Howard.  He and his wonderful wife are fellow parishioners at our church.  I met his wife through our parish Bible study (which she runs) and my husband delights in meeting regularly with Dr. Howard to discuss literature.  You can read about his amazing conversion story in "Lead, Kindly Light".  I want to be like them when I grow up!



A vintage door and table rest on the other side of the fireplace:

I placed a sled that I found on clearance at JoAnn's (after Christmas last year) on this table.  It's been painted white and decorated with greens and a lovely ribbon given to me by dear friend Michelle.

This table also holds this sweet box of vintage ornaments I scored for $3 at our thrift store!  I added the tissue to cushion the bulbs.  Just love each one's string hanger, too!

We don't have an 'Elf on the Shelf', but these bears are reminding the kids to behave:


The last area to share is the front of our living room.  I kept this cabinet and shelf very simple this year.






Well, thanks for sticking around for this long tour.  Merry Christmas to you and yours, dear friends!


10 comments:

It's me said...

Beautiful decorating home you have ....love it all...happy weekend love Ria x ❤️

Unknown said...

oh your home looks so lovely....cozy..welcoming for the Xmas season mon amie. I adore all of your special touches and how you remind us all the "reason for the season" in your subtle way. The German Smear technique tones down the orignal brick color without hiding it completely. It's perfect! And it delighted me to see how you've used the vintage embroidered trim I gave to you! Merci for making me smile mon amie and thank you for sharing your beautiful home with us all! Joyeux Noel!

NanaDiana said...

It is all just beautiful! I really like the bricks better now. What a great way to make them blend in with the surroundings and not stand out so much. that was a great idea.
Your home really evokes a warm "mad-for-plaid" Christmas feeling-love it- Merry Christmas- Diana

Robin Johnson said...

Beautifully done. I love all the plaid, my living room has a heavy dose of it this season also, and all the cute deer and deer accents. Love it!

Blondie's Journal said...

Your living room is so cozy and festive, Susan,...all of the colors and textures blend so seamlessly. The fireplace is simply gorgeous...good for you in trying a new method to beautify it. The plain is such a great touch! Just love everything!

Jane x

Heather said...

It looks beautiful, Susan!!! Your home is so magical. I wish my place looked that put together, lol. Im waiting for my littlest one to get out of the 'throw everything that looks new across the room to see if it bounces" stage. ;)

Anne's Attic - Design said...

You really have the knack! I love every single thing. I always love to see what you have done to your lovely spaces. Thank you, Jo

Junkchiccottage said...

It is all cozy and warm in your holiday home. Love scrolling through all your pictures. Love all your vintage treasure out for the holidays. Your tree is gorgeous. Have a great week heading on down to Christmas.
Merry Christmas.
Kris

Victoria said...

Oh, everything looks absolutely beautiful Susan! And so very cozy and welcoming:) I LOVE your "German Schmear" technique, you did a fantastic job. All the presents look lovely in their plaid wrapping paper. I really want to put a shelf over our sofa but, during a huge thunderstorm a couple of years ago, one came crashing down so now I'm terrified!!!

Thank you for the tour of your gorgeous living room! HUGS!

Bente said...

How beautiful you have decorated. Love your christmas home
Hugs from here

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...