Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Antique French Daybed - Unearthed!

About 12 years ago I purchased a lovely antique French daybed at the Brimfield Flea Market.  Bless my dear girlfriend Stacey for helping me cart the heavy thing home on the roof of her car.  It spent a couple of years in the tiny guest room of my condo. 
After marrying and moving, I'm sorry to admit this treasure has been gathering dust (and rust) in our basement for 7 years!  We just didn't know where to put it. 
This spring I finally decided to unearth this beauty.  I had wanted to paint it a grayish-white for quite some time, and that's what I did.
Here it is in our living room.  We 'found' space by moving some furniture around a bit...

I put my daughter's old socks over the wheels to prevent the floor from scratching.  That idea came from Cindy's home of CutePinkStuff.  She did that with baby socks to her dining chairs - clever!

The living room has a fresh white summery look to it now...

The daybed is now my favorite spot to read books and doze...


I covered it with a monogrammed flea market sheet:

Reflection of the room and our garden peonies:


We removed the coffee table and put the ottoman in the center for a softer look:


Here's how the daybed looked after unearthing it:

And here it is painted and sealed:

I love the detail:

Although it will probably just be around for the summer, I'm so happy to have brought this daybed back to the daylight. 

I'll be sharing it with these fun link parties:
White Wednesday
Vintage Inspiration Friday
Feathered Nest Friday
Show and Tell Friday



26 comments:

Sandi said...

Your house is just gorgeous Susan and I love that daybed!!
Blessings~

Shabby chic Sandy said...

Everything does look fresh and summery--so beautiful!

FRENCH LAUNDRY said...

I love it when an old friend comes back around to visit, don't you? I'd probably never leave that daybed though!

Hugs,
Judy

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful daybed Susan!! And you did an amazing job on the finish!!
It looks just perfect in your heavenly home!
Hope you have a lovely night my friend.
Sincerely,
Melinda

All Things Chic 2 said...

Best find ever...
Love it in your space...
Blessings Lori ~

Heaven's Walk said...

Wow wow wow, Susan! LOVE this! What a charming, cozy place to take a snooze or read a book! It looks right at home in your pretty living room! :)

xoxo laurie

maria cecilia said...

in love with your bed!!!
hugs

A Shabby Moment in Time said...

Gorgeous Susan! What a great addition to your living space. Curling up there with a good decorating book...what could be better? I'm sure your daybed is happy to be put to use and in the light of day for awhile. Enjoy it~
Blessings & hugs,
Karen
P.S. Counting the days till our shopping trip!

pballard said...

Love your space... Adore it rather.. Anyways I just bought a crib daybed that I plan on doing something similar. Thanks for sharing the sock idea.. Very clever.

Stacy's Shabby Shoppe said...

Your room sure does look bright and summery! I love it and I love your daybed!

Faded Charm said...

Oh, how I love this daybed and it looks perfect in your living room. Beautiful photos.

I passed up an old crib turned daybed a year ago from a local shop because I didn't know where I would put it. As soon as I got home, the lighbulb went off that itwould be perfect in my daughter's room. I went back a couple days later and of coarse it was gone...such a great price too(what was I thinking??)

Enjoy your new lounging area:-)

xoxo
Kathleen

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

Oh my...what a perfect place to relax and day dream! I love it!

Unknown said...

that was in your BASEMENT??? GOOD gosh...what else are you hoarding down there? I need to have me a looksee the next time i'm there! it's absolutely divine!

Donna said...

Your day bed is just gorgeous, Susan! What a difference paint makes! I looks lovely in your living room. Each time I see photos of your pretty home, I smile:) Love your silver and peonies, too!

@nne said...

love it!! @nne

farmhouse-story said...

such a beautiful daybed...actually, the whole room is gorgeous! happy weekend!

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

LOVE that bed!

WOW it is gorgeous!

very merry vintage style said...

What a gorgeous room. Love the vintage silver, too.
Mary

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living said...

What a beautiful daybed in such a lovely room. Love the flea market sheet on it and the pillows are divine! I can see why this is your fave place to read and snooze.

Kerryanne @ Shabby Art Boutique said...

Such a pretty piece to add to your living room Susan. She looks gorgeous in her new colour and I especially like the monogramed sheet you use. I bet that is vintage too! So sweet.

I'd love it if you'd consider sharing this post at my Shabbilicious Friday link party ~ http://shabbyartboutique.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/shabbilicious-friday-156.html

kathee said...

I love your daybed~so glad you brought it in your living room where you can enjoy it! I was lucky enough to purchase 2 of them this past weekend at a container sale~one for me and one to re-sell! I'm having the cushions made as we speak! I love the pillows and sheets you chose it all looks so gorgeous...Have a lovely weekend...xokathee

Sew a Fine Seam said...

That turned out beautiful! Isn't it fun when you finally find the perfect spot for something you love but haven't used because you couldn't decide how to use it?!
I just did that with a vintage industrial cart I've had. Love it when things finally work out!

Unknown said...

It's a stunner! LOVE the whole room. I'd never want to leave that bed! LOL

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

I don't think you could go wrong with that gorgeous daybed. I liked it before and after! It's a fantastic way to show off your beautiful linens, and just bonus that you use it too. You can have that much more company! :o)

Unknown said...

Hi Susan,

I just love your living room. And the bed looks so much better after you painted it. I think it is the perfect place to relax.

lynnie

THE FARMHOUSE PORCH said...

I'm your newest follower, so happy I've found your beautiful blog. Such inspiration!
♥Linsey

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...